HLP consists of (1) Sergeant and (6) Officers, who work collaboratively with The Santa Monica City Attorney's Office, the Santa Monica Fire Department, the city's Human Services Division (HSD) and the Los Angeles Department of Mental Health (DMH) to identify those eligible for city or county social services. Each department networks together in the field, court, or a care facility to ensure that, where appropriate, alternatives to incarceration occur. Among their responsibilities:
• Maintain and make available to all department employees a list of assistance programs and other resources that are available to the homeless.
• Meet with social services and representatives of other organizations that render assistance to the homeless.
• Remain abreast of laws dealing with the removal and/or destruction of the personal property of the homeless.
• Be present during any clean-up operation conducted by this department involving the removal of personal property of the homeless to ensure that the rights of the homeless are not violated.
• Develop training to assist officers in understanding current legal and social issues relating to the homeless.